Tuesday 28 June 2011

BACK IN JAKARTA

Well, I think I've done a great job with this blog thing......besides re-blogging and updating causing an influx in your inboxes. The  internet is playing havoc with my patience and so have had to pace myself on the computer. Which is slower than I'm used to but now, it seems, I've got the hang of it.

We've been back in Jakarta since Sat night. Sun & Mon was catching up on sleep, processing all the interesting experiences we've had, and planning our coming week......whew!! It rained yesterday, not that you'd know it but you can feel the smog thicken then it got really humid......thank goodness for aircon yay!

Jakarta is a full on city. There is a constant barrage of noise - people working, scooters and cars on the streets, low flying planes, there's just always NOISE. The energy here is full on too - changing, moving with people always going somewhere. You don't feel like there's a million people around you or that the thousands of high rise buildings within walking distance are full of workers. It's not suffocating, it's more like it's alive. That's how I'd describe it, the city is very much alive. And it can be a good or bad thing depending on whether you can find your own space within it.

Seen as though there's not much happening - new mall different day sort of thing. I thought I'd use this time to share some quirky things that happened to us on our adventures and share some classic tips.

Firstly, thinking about what to bring pack some good walking shoes, nice shoes to shop in that don't slip on buffed marble floors - which are used as your typical flooring all malls, everywhere. Pack nice and comfortable clothes remembering you're going to a country where they don't have Pacific sizing's of anything. And don't get too upset when you're just about to ask the sales assistant if they have bigger sizes and before you can get the first word out she's smiling and saying 'NO'! Hee, hee, that happened to us everywhere.
So much so, my friends and I decided a great business idea would be to open up a 'Boleh' Pacific sized shop that sold Indo clothes and shoes for bigger sizes - not just wide but tall too. Well, it's an idea. We'll see tomorrow when we go to Mangga Dua shopping meca there maybe something there for us Pacific sisters.

Try and learn a bit of the language to get you by or at least do some sign language......it does help in the most stickiest situations :)

Also try and teach yourselves how to calculate Rupe back into NZ Dollars fast. Otherwise, like me, you'll miss a bloody good bargain........duh!!! Happened all the time.....just now clicking on to it.

When you get to Indo buy your antiperspirant here. Their roll-ons will keep you dryer, longer! Buy your travel wipes from NZ in small (handbag sized) convenient lots along with small containers of hand sanitizer they come in handy dandy. NZ has nicer thicker towelettes.

Now, my friends think I have a fetish about food napkins....which is not true. I think, when you go for a meal or kaikai you need a descent sized napkin. I don't spit much or make a mess, it's more for 'just in case'. Well, the places we've been to (and there have been many) that don't have the required sized napkin is ridiculous . My friends however, think I'm quirky and have started taking photos of my napkin experiences. I'm sorry, two bits of re-recycled thin as tissue about business card size does not a napkin make. Note: always, always take your own back up just in case this happens to you. by the way, I bought some nice Batik napkins at the Batik museum, full size yay!

Check the food halls out over here. Some have their own designated space where you can wash your hands after eating. It's so convenient insted of going all the way to the wharepaku down loooong corridors. Talking about wharepaku - make sure you go twice before leaving the comforts of your apartment. You never know if you'll get a Euro style or local wharepaku. Unless you're used to it - and if you haven't been to a local wharepaku you have to try it - it is an experience!! :)

Don't be too scared to look out the window when being taxied about the city. There maybe only two lanes for traffic but you'll see that at least 4 lanes of cars and buses can fit into 2 lanes, not to mention all the motorbikes inbetween. And everyone uses their indicators which is very respectful.

In Yogya however, hang on for dear life. I'm not sure whether they have road rules but motorbikes can fit into the most smallest of places, like in between a truck and a bus. and don't get me started on the legal driving age!!! I've seen mother's feeding babies on the back of a moped. People txting while riding. But the funniest thing was seeing these jars of liquid being sold just about everywhere in the street stalls. On a hot day they looked quite freshing until our driver said it was petrol. I kid ya not, petrol for bikes being sold on the side of the road in glass jars in the stinking heat of the day.

Marie and I thought we'd experience crossing the road in Yogya. The street wasn't that wide it was just that the traffic was never ending. And it's hard to dodge bikes although cars and buses are ok you can kind of gauge their speed.

Back to food again......I had to try the Nasi Goren for breakie. A traditional Javanese breakie. It was either that of rice porridge with chicken and corn.........mmmmm not my cuppa tea. It was nice just tooooo hot. Remember to always, always ask if the food is spicy hot. Didn't put me off my Java coffee though......mmmmm!

I've got heaps more stories to share and lots of pics too. For now we're getting ready to venture out to one of the biggest hardware stores.........yay! And to find a post office. 

Salamat Siang

Henri


No comments:

Post a Comment